Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rob Edgerley writes from Zimbabwe

G'Day All,

I have read with interest all the various emails surrounding the CGS Year
of 67! Steve knows, because he and my sister in Canberra chat from time
to time, that I am currently working in Zimbabwe for BAT.

Arrived 20 months ago on a two year secondment from my home Company of BAT Australia,
and I head up the Leaf Division here, trying to grow volume for the Group.
My family (wife, daughter 27 and son 23) remain in Sydney, last year was
the worst year of my life, it was beyond belief just trying to survive in
Zim (and I have worked in some pretty rugged countries during my time in
tobacco, PNG, China, Indonesia). However I'm pleased to say that this year
has improved no end, especially since they legalised trading in USD's.
Must be mad, but I have extended until the end of next year, then it will
be back to Sydney to prepare for retirement.

Sadly I have lost touch with you guys, the last time I saw anybody was at
my 21st birthday party on the 22 January 1971 at the lake, following which
I entered the army the very next day as a result of conscription! Served
18 months, then buggered off to the desert in WA for 6 months on an oil
exploration trip with the BMR as it was called then, then off to Europe and
North Africa for a year to get army out of my system, then returned to
Aussie and commenced work with W.D & H.O Wills (BAT) in their Leaf
division, and have remained with them ever since apart from a 6 year break
when I was based in Asia working for Universal Leaf, the largest tobacco
Dealer in the world. My career has been one of constant travel, and our
current home in Sydney is the third time I have lived in that city!

I did speak with Ross Read at some stage after leaving the army, as at one
stage I considered studying law, but that did not eventuate. Despite my
parents and sister remaining in Canberra since I left, I very rarely
visited, however do catch up with my sister Katy and her family at Durras
on the south coast, where they have a house.

Sorry people, I will not be attending the get together next May, maybe
after 2010 I will make one! Regards to those who remember me!

Cheers........................
.............Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment