Saturday, January 16, 2010

Alan Gould launches novel and poetry

23 August 2009
Alan Gould to launch novel and poetry
I have two books that are on the brink of appearing on the market.
The novel is entitled The Lakewoman, is published by Australian Scholarly Press, and is my seventh work of fiction.
It tells the story of an Australian fellow, Alec, from a pastoral  family of these parts (I envisaged a sheep run in the vicinity of Lanyon) who is at Cambridge University prior to World war Two, gets
taken into the British forces and is part of the Airborne assault at DDay. However, instead of finding war, he encounters Viva, the lakewoman, and from this unfolds a love story that takes him from the
life of conventional promise that he had - footballer, athlete, scholar - to a lifelong relationship altogether stranger.
Essentially he has encountered the Dame du Lac of Arthurian story and is placed within an enchantment which, I trust, has a great deal of psychological intrigue and truth to tell.  The book is about the psychological conditions of enchantment. When my agent read it, she
called it 'a stunner', and novelist Alex Miller refers to t as a 'brilliant achievement' in the back cover.

Does that sell it?
The poetry is called 'Folk Tunes', comes from Salt publishing in UK, and collects together poems I wrote after I was the Poet In Residence at the National Folk Festival in 2001.  To quote the blurb,
'Folk Tunes' seeks to present poems that combine the immediate lightness and clarity of sense found in much folksong, with the formal shapeliness and appeal of such music, while presenting fairly
the complexity and delicacy of emotion required by the subjects addressed.'

I have copies of the poetry now in my possession, and hope, after this weekend, to have copies of the novel. A good distribution in bookshops is something I hope for more than trust.  Were I selling to
anyone directly I would charge $20 for the poetry, and not more than $25 for the novel.
 The launch of The Lakewoman in Canberra will be at Dalton's on Wed Sept 9th at 6-15, and will be done by John Clanchy. You're all welcome,   As if he were not prima donna enough, Gould is launching a second book, poems this time, on October 8th, again at Dalton's, 6-15pm, and done by Paul Hetherington.
Alan Gould
 

1 comment:

  1. Clive Dadidson's Review
    Hi All,

    I attended the launch of Alan Gould's latest book "The Lake Woman" and naturally enough bought a copy.

    I started reading it a couple of nights ago and was absolutely captured.

    It is one of those books that artfully casts its lure into the water and in a peaceful and languid way gets you to take the bait.

    I was HOOKED!

    I had to put it down the first night, but had a fitful night dreaming about the direction I was being "played".

    I didn't bother with putting the book down on the second night and finished it around 2am.

    Exhausted I crawled into bed and again had a sleepless night.

    Its one of the best reads I have had in years and cannot recommend it highly enough.

    I was racing ahead in some passages; gripped by the story and the need to get to the next high point. Only to be dragged back to read every word carefully and to savour the mood and texture of the story.

    Do yourselves a favour and get a copy and enjoy the story!

    cheers

    Clive

    ReplyDelete